Blog Assignment 8

Institutions In My Daily Life

 Considering I am still a student, institutions control my entire schedule. My day is mapped out by predetermined, scheduled blocks of time- such as my class schedule. While I got to choose this schedule, I had to choose from options that were already put together. However, I do feel like in college, especially from the student side, we have a lot of free reign. We just have to do our work, but we can choose what we want to study and, for me, write research papers freely about what I find interesting. 

http://www.mappery.com/maps/Virginia-Commonwealth-University-Map.mediumthumb.pdf.png

After school, though, I go to work at a medical center. Hospitals are also big institutions in this country. I have to follow a bunch of rules, strictly, from keeping patient information private, to wiping down everything often as per the COVID-19 pandemic. I also noticed that there was extensive HR paperwork when I was applying, and I had to pass multiple background checks before even beginning training- which I interpret as institutional rules that new hires have to follow. 

Meanwhile, during all the in-betweens of my day, I follow plenty of social norms. I abide by the traffic laws, I compose myself in public, etc. All of those things are put in place by institutions, and we don’t even consciously think about it, but we all do it. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Assignment 5